Sep 25, 2009

Part 20-Oops....

Oh God, this has to be a quickie! My interview is in 15 minutes!

Shopping last night was a disaster on a massive scale. So bad I really don't know where to start. Basically Lola took me to some great places. I tried on numerous fabulous 'Miss Money Penny-style' outfits and eventually chose one which I thought looked pretty good! A fitted jacket and pencil skirt in charcoal grey, with a sheer pink blouse...it said stylish and efficient, and meant I was a shoo-in for the promo.

So her mystery guy tagged along. He seemed okay and when he suggested we all go for a drink to celebrate my successful purchasing (even though I noticed that Lola didn't seem that keen) I agreed. I was keen to start answering some of the questions on the list and didn't want to waste the opportunity.

We went into a bar in town and Matt (that's his name) bought Lola and I a glass of wine. He actually seemed charming, until I began asking some important questions and he really tensed up. So did Lola.

'Where do you see yourself and Lola in 6 months' I asked, and I might as well have asked if he fancied commiting a murder the way they both went on. Lola flashed me a look that said that she did, in fact, fancy commiting murder, while lover-boy blushed so red I thought my wine might boil.

'I'm only asking' I went on, hoping to calm the situation. 'You're obviously serious about each other, I mean it has been months now, and you're shopping together and stuff. When's the wedding'?

I actually laughed thinking I was cracking an hilarious joke and expecting them to join in but they didn't. Instead both of them just sat there looking embarrassed and I couldn't understand what I had said wrong.

Then Lola said:

'Ruby, Matt and I are keeping things casual. I told you, it's nothing serious. Just put The List away okay'?

Damn! She had worked out what I was up to!

I said I was sorry. No point falling out with Lola when I had only just sorted things out with Cass.

'You guys should come over for dinner at the weekend, I know Cass will be around and she's dying to meet you Matt. Saturday'? I wanted to get to know him a bit more and Cass could help me out with The List.

But before Matt had a chance to answer Lola was saying 'No', they couldn't. Matt would be busy.

I was about to ask if Matt could answer for himself when it dawned on me that there was something dodge going on here. Why were they so reluctant to admit there was anything serious going on, yet Lola couldn't leave him tonight to come shopping with me?

It suddenly hit me! And I knew by the look on her face that Lola knew I had worked it out.

That's when I knocked over my wine glass and spilled red wine all over my pile of paper shopping bags! My interview outfit was destroyed and it was 9.05pm...too late to shop again!

So here I am, awaiting the call to Nigels office, wearing an old black suit and one of my new low-cut tops...I just knew they'd come in handy! What choice did I have?

I'm dreading this interview and after what I found out last night I really don't feel up to it....

No comments:

Post a Comment