Sep 10, 2009

Part 13-in which i am sacrificed by the sisterhood...

Perhaps 'poor' Pamela isn't quite as deserving of my sympathies as I had at first thought. It seems some people will do ANYTHING to deflect attention (negative attention at least) away from themselves.

As I mentioned yesterday, everyone in here was gossiping about her. She was the main topic of inane chat around the water cooler and they were all asking those of us who were actually there to witness this traversty (boring Brenda's word's-not mine) for the truth about what went on.

Of course out of some unspoken sisterhood loyalty I refused to be drawn on the subject and kept myself to myself for most of the day. I was the last person who wanted to get involved in office tittle-tattle right now, given my own sordid situation!

Naturally throughout the day the rumours that were spreading like wild fire around the place got more and more twisted, until, by around 4pm I actually heard from dopey Debbie in accounts that Pamela had been involved in a 'wife-swapping' senario, which had led to Pamela herself becoming embroiled in a torrid affair with her best friends husband. The friend had allegedly found out, and, after an initial period of understandable shock, had suggested that the two couples live in harmony in the one house, happily ever after. Half the office believed that this actual situation was real and had been a kept secret by Pamela for several months now, until at last, on Saturday night at the hen, said 'best friend' had decided she could keep her love for Pamela's betrothed a dirty secret no longer and announced it for all the world to hear!

This, of course, was a load of old tosh!

Pamela's fiance was just a bollocks, like the rest of mankind!

I felt so bad for her that I decided I would try and speak to Pam, try and make her feel better, let her know that she wasn't the only one to be dumped on from a great height. Maybe it's something to do with falling out with Cass (we still haven't spoken by the way) but I'm feeling all 'sister's unite' today, so I sidled up to her desk while everyone else had gone off to the canteen for a brew (she, like me, obviously prefered not to be around everyone else just now and had hung on in the office).

'I know what you're going through' I told her in a low voice,- probably a little too secret-agent-like if I'm honest.

When she looked up at me with tear-stained eye's I gave in and let the cat out of the bag, telling her all about Mark and how he'd left me out of the blue for some floozy.

Pamela sat in silence taking it all in and for a moment I felt we had some weird 'dumpee' connection. As a result I told her all about the 'other' woman and how Mark wanted to sell our house and get a divorce. Her sad eye's lit up and I really believed I had managed to cheer her up by sharing.
Feeling she had my back, once I had finished my story of woe I added 'You will keep this to yourself Pamela, won't you'?

She nodded-quite sheepishly now that I think of it actually-and before I could receive my sympathy hug and pat-on-the-back for being one of the sisterhood she was up from her seat and away off to follow the rest of the office gossips into the canteen.

I knew immedialtely that I had made a ginormous error-Pamela was gonna sacrifice me in order to save herself!

She was going to tell them my secret.

By the time I was ready to clock off at 5pm I could already hear the whispering from all the way down the corridor. People were turning their backs on me to snigger as I entered a room. The girls who sat across from me in the office were looking at me with doe-eyed sympathy and I just knew that everybody knew!

No longer was Pamela-the cow- the subject of office gossip. Now it was all focused on something much more interesting and juicy-ME! After all, what could be more pathetic than a woman who had shreiked and -dare-I-say-it-boasted with pride while her collegues had cooed and fawned over her wedding photos not three years ago, only to be unceremoniously dumped by her 'darling' hubby before they'd even had chance to celebrate their third anniversary?

I was a laughing stock, just as I had feared I would be. So much for sisterhood!

I got out of there as quickly as I could but made sure to flash my angriest scowl towards Pam on the way out.
I heard her mutter something like:
'It just slipped out Ruby' as I fled the building.

'Yeah, not out of your best friend though, it would seem'! I wanted to shout back....

What do I do about Cass? I feel terrible and part of me thinks I should ring her and apologise...the other half thinks that would be admitting that I had a crappy marriage...which I didn't! I need advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment