Sep 18, 2009

Part 17-James Bond is my dad....

In a life that truly is becoming stranger than fiction, another episode of weirdom occurs.

My dad came a-visiting again last night and I'm beginning to suspect that something might be 'up'.
Two visits in two weeks is like, a record in my life time, and I just know there has to be an explaination for why he has started to make the effort (as if me being 'left' and him being married to my mother wasn't enough reason for him to want to spend time at mine).

He isn't giving much away but I got the impression last night that if I pry enough he might just let me in. Not sure if I really want to know what goes on in my father's private life though, to be honest, so I might just try not being nosey for once in my life.

Anyway, he arrived on my doorstep once again, unannounced and unassuming. I made him tea and layed out a plate of biscuits (the end of a packet of hobnobs, the last Club Milk and a couple of stale cream crackers was the best I could do-must make a note to always have good selection of biscuits in for any future unexpected callers or further visits from dad), and we sat in silence while pretending to watch Emmerdale and then some random cookery show -well, I was pretending anyway, perhaps he was watching for real, I shouldn't speak for him.

After the cookery show ended dad turned to me and asked me how I was doing. I told him about my meeting with the bank manager and how I was aiming to get a promotion at work. He looked decidedly unconvinced at the prospect of my getting it! Thanks dad! But on the plus side, he must have been so certain of my lack of capabilities that he offered to lend me the money to buy Mark out!
I'm kind of relieved (as well as offended obviously!)-I mean I wouldn't have to worry about licking up to Naughty Nigel forever more-but at the same time getting help from my parents just doesn't sit right with me now. I mean, I've been married for goodness sake, I should be able to stand on my own two feet by now! Besides I'd have mum on my case constantly if I owed her money: telling me what I could and couldn't buy and threatening me with legal action if I so much as tried to have a night out with the girls! It just wouldn't be worth it!

I said as much to dad.

'Oh, don't get me wrong, this would be between you and me love', he patted his finger off the end of his nose conspiritorilly. I was puzzled.

'Don't you have a joint account though' I asked, 'Surely mum would notice that sort of money going missing'?

Dad looked me square in the eyes and said 'Ruby, there are lots of things your mother doesn't notice about me, and plenty more I choose not to tell her'.

Talk about suspense! That's when I got the impression that something was up and that he was trying to give me a clue or two, but at that moment I was too stunned to speak. This was my poor, badly done-to old dad acting like some kind of secret agent and it was just plain weird! I'm trying not to think about it....

So anyway, I'm still going to try my very best to get promoted (even though my own father has no faith in me), but at least now I know I'm not going to lose the house whatever happens-oh, the relief!

I just hope dad isn't offereing me the dosh because he's thinking of leaving mum and moving in here with me as my roomy! I mean, technically he would own half of it wouldn't he? Now that really would be total weirdom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment