Nov 12, 2009

Part 30-finally, a scarlet woman I approve of....

So I went and we met and the thing is, I REALLY liked her!

Rose is in her early fifties (at a guess) and though my dad is in his sixties he seemed young in her presence, as if a glow of youth reflected from her and he was bathing in it.

She is lovely to look at, beautiful I suppose, like those women who advertise anti-wrinkle cream, older but fabulous. Her skin is smooth and flawless-way better than mine which is already starting to show signs of a mis-spent period in my twenties. She is elegent in every sense, her dress which is modern yet mature, her hair-style which is sharp and healthy and yet not too young, she carries herslef with poise and grace.

I almost fell in love with her myself!

Dad is obviously smitten and it isn't difficult to see why. Aside from her TV model looks and movie star character Rose is also a lovely person. She is well spoken, confident yet not over-bearing, she has a wonderful sense of humour and told jokes about the differences between men and women at which I couldn't help but roar with laughter at.
She is also very clever and astute. She has been running her own business for years, with much success, and though she has never married or had children she seems to have a close knit circle of friends and extended family and relationships which she values with great importance.

If for some reason I had been asked to select a wife for my father (or indeed a mother for myself) undoubtedly I would have chosen Rose.

We passed a very enjoyable evening, the three of us. Firstly dinner in Chez Claude. It turns out Claude is a friend of Rose and she has been dining there for years although I had never even heard of it until this meeting was organised. It was a small, rustic, authentic French place, with a throbbing clientelle and delicious food. And though I wanted so much not to get on with dad's other woman (especially when she began conversing with some of the wait staff in fluent French) we soon began to hit it off like old friends over our meal.

She is obviously adventurous too-persuading us both to try exciting new dishes and finishing the meal with a digestif and a couple of cocktails. My kind of woman!
I have never seen my mother drink anything other than Gin and tonic, unless you count a sweet sherry at Christmas or Champagne if offered at some social event.

After dinner it was off to 'Club Cuba' which really opened my eye's to the relationship between dad and Rose.


Instead of the OAP centre I had been expecting, Club Cuba turned out to be an underground dance hall, akin to the staff quarters on Dirty Dancing! There were people of all ages and races dancing in a variety of styles to a hip and happening Latin-style band.
The place was hot and sweaty but the vibe was cool and I LOVED it!

Okay, well in fairness to begin with I felt like a bit of a plonker because I had no dance partner and visions of my high-school disco flashed disconcertingly into my head. But after a few minutes I was swept up by a tall, handsome hunk who was dressed in full cuban regalia and he spun me around the floor! From him I was passed onto another, equally gorgeous guy and it didn't take my legs long to begin tapping and twirling to the heavy beat.

I waved at dad and Rose -who were also tripping the light fantastic like a couple of Strictly Come Dancing Proffesionals-every now and then and ended up having the most fantastic night!
Between songs we paused for drinks to cool down and chat over. Dad and Rose come here every week, I learned, after dad's conscience-easing visit's to me and an episode of Emmerdale. They took dance lessons together (it turns out that's how they met) and ended up keeping up the hot moves they'd learned!

I absolutely adored the place and couldn't help thinking it would be fun to bring the girls here sometime.

How amazing that my quiet, boring old dad has been living it up in here with his fancy woman for months now? At least in a place like this he can be sure he'll never bump into my mum! Nor any of her nosey old cronies! If only they knew!

I couldn't help feeling really happy for him. At last, after years spent in misery with the nagging snob he has finally found a woman he can have fun with. He has, in my opinion, found true love.
I had such a great time with dad and Rose that I have decided if things don't work out for them (and don't ask me what I mean by that) I'm single...I'll have her myself!

Oh, and I'm going back to Club Cuba sometime next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment