Nov 10, 2009

Part 29-getting to know the other woman....

This is a bit of a weird one and I'd like to know what you think?
My dad rang me last night. He wants me to meet up for dinner with him tonight....well, with him and his mistress! How mad is that?

After years (in fact a whole life-time or there abouts) of loathing my mother I have suddenly developed some kind of sympathy towards her which is tugging on my heart and making it feel so wrong to condone his cheating on her. And I would be condoning it surely, if I agreed to meet her and keep it all a secret from my mother.

I asked my dad why I need to meet this woman anyway, I mean, it isn't as if we are going to be around each other very much-if ever- if he is never planning to leave mum, and although he has told me about her existence I think it would be a whole lot easier for me if I convince myself that I know NOTHING about her and pretend my father's confession was all a dream. That way I can also pretend that I'm not just as bad as him every time I am in my mother's company. Even though that wouldn't be very often at all.

His reply?

He needs me to meet Rose (Oh no! Now the imagined personality has a name!) because only with Rose can he truly be himself. And he wants me-his only daughter- to at last get to know the real him.

Can I honestly believe that after 31 years I have never actually met my own father?
It's true I suppose that I know surprisingly little about him. And it would be nice to get to know what he is like when is is relaxed and comfortable, and not worrying about making a mess, saying the wrong thing or what the neighbours might think!

So with some caution I accepted his offer. We are meeting at a little French Bistro in some secluded corner of town which I have never before heard of, before going on to a club they apparently often visit together where they learn dance or something. I have pictured old dears learning the fox-trot and am wondering why they would choose to take me there?

I am shocked at the realisation that my dear old dad and this woman have a life together, one where people see them as, and believe them to be, a couple. How easy it must be to deceive those around you, to pretend you are one person, when really you are completely another. I am fascinated to meet the woman who has such sway over dad, a man who has kept his own opinions and ideas so well hidden for so many years that even I do not know who he is. I can't help but wonder what is so special about her.

Not long ago a call came through on my mobile. It was my mother's number. She rarely ever calls me, although of late she likes to inform me when rich husbands split up with their wives, just in case there's a chance I might like to hook up with one! I know it's a dream of hers!

I ignored the call. If she asked me had I plans for tonight I would have had to lie! And even though I got fairly used to lying to my mother throughout my teens and early twenties, (in fact I still do) it just wouldn't sit well with me in this particular instance.

Look who's doing the cheating now!

No comments:

Post a Comment