Oct 6, 2009

Part 23-where I can see light on the horizon...

Although it has been a tough few days, at last there seems to be a bit of sunshine on the distant horizon-only the tiniest speck of a ray though, not like a full-on beautiful day in the Carribbean or anything!

The tiny beam of light is this: I have been offered the promotion!

Nigel called me into his den of iniquity (his office) earlier this morning to personally offer me the position of group leader (I got the distinct impression however, that this wasn't the only position he was hoping to put my way) and after managing to totally convince myself that I hadn't a cat in hell's chance of getting the job, I was so over-joyed that I almost leapt out of my chair and kissed him. Almost.

I probably should have played the game, taken some time to consider my answer to avoid looking too keen, even held out for more moolah perhaps. But I was so desperate to get the damn job and sooooo shocked to find out that I had, that I didn't want to give them any opportunity to change their minds! I for one had no idea what had convinced them that I was the correct candidate for the promotion, so I was worried that, given time to rethink their decision, they might have difficulty justifying their choice also!

So I accepted the offer quite loudly and quite profusely, leaving absolutely no room for confusion and then I tried not to squirm when Nigel felt the need to hug me in congratulation. Images of how closely I would now be expected to work with him flashed through my mind but I did my very best to ignore them, at least for the time being. I didn't want anything to spoil the feeling of happiness I was experiencing, it seemed so new to me after such a long time feeling like crap!

Speaking of crap, my weekend was pretty much that. Although after a couple of long talks with my dad I am feeling a little bit better about the whole 'every single person I know is a cheater' revelation. I guess forgiving him is easier because I can totally understand why he would cheat-who wouldn't be tempted to cheat on my mother? He told me all about his 'other woman' and I have to admit to kind-of liking the sound of her! She's about ten years younger than him, has a great career, and is completely independant and self-sufficient. He says she is beautiful and a free-spirit who doesn't give a rats arse what other people think of her-nothing like my mother, that's for sure. In fact, she sounds like someone I'd love to be!

Getting my head around Lola and her married guy is proving to be a bit harder, but I'm trying to work it out because I couldn't bear to lose Lola as my friend. I've been wondering if it's possible to ignore the fact that she's seeing him and just pretend that he doesn't exist? I guess that's what life could have been like for me if I'd managed to hang onto Mark. Sometimes I suppose it's better to cut your loses.

So anyway Lola's free this week (wifey is back from visiting her sick mother!) and I intend to have a proper talk with her man-to-man sort of thing, and see if I can't convince her to end it now before someone gets hurt. Failing that I suppose I'll have to decide if I can handle it or not, after all, if I can forgive my father surely I can forgive my friend, right?

Now to end on another bit of good news. Apparently from tomorrow I will be doing a bit of training with guess who? No, not Naughty bloody Nigel-thank goodness!- remember the gorgeous guy from the interview? Just me and him for a week working one-on-one. My heart's racing just at the thoughts of it! Now there's one man I wouldn't mind trying out a new position with...! Did I just say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment